7 Facts! How to Prevent Dry Lips and Chapped Lips
Using Natural Lip Balms to have soft, healthy lips
Who would benefit with using a Natural lip Balm?
Natural Lip Balms are so important to prevent dry lips for all the family – women, men and children – as our lips are exposed to the elements all year and especially for mums to be.
We believe that women, men, children and pregnant women should add a Natural Lip Balm to their skin care routine.
Our lips are exposed to harsh weather all year round from cold to sunny weather.
Interestingly, the lip skin has no hair follicles or sweat glands, so has no body oil or sweat to help protect them from the inclement weather. To have the protection for your lips, with a lip balm is so important.
How to Relieve Dry Lips During Pregnancy
When you’re pregnant, your body will change and this is expected by you. Here are some changes to your body that you may experience, morning sickness, craving certain foods and your tummy getting bigger as your baby grows. You have probably expected mood swings, swollen feet and ankles and your breasts increasing in size.
The last thing you didn’t expect is dry, chapped lips and this can start in early pregnancy, lasting to the end of pregnancy.
1) Follow these tips for dry lips.
Having dry, chapped lips, when pregnant could have totally surprised you, so be prepared. Use a good quality lip balm, when you are pregnant or in labour or having a c-section. Remember to include the lip balm in your delivery bag.
2) What Causes Dry Lips in Pregnancy?
Having dry, chapped lips could mean that you are dehydrated and your body requires you to increase your intake of water when pregnant. If you are experiencing an increase of dryness on your lips, it is an indication that could mean you are dehydrated. Everything from not drinking enough water to higher blood volume can cause your skin and lips to dry out.
3) Do you drink enough water?
As your baby grows, your body needs more fluids. It is important to increase your fluid intake in pregnancy, helping to prevent dehydration and this will help with dry lips.
4) Increased blood volume
As baby develops, your blood volume increases. This increased blood volume can stretch the skin, causing the skin to dry out and crack. The skin can become fragile and have less elasticity.
5) Mouth Breathing when pregnant.
Did you know that during pregnancy many hormonal changes take place. Mainly oestrogen levels increase when pregnant. This increase in oestrogen can cause swelling in the mucous membranes of the nose, this causes the Mum-to-be to breathe through the mouth….. which, in turn, results in dry lips.
When in labour, breathing through the mouth is common. Because of this, use a natural Lip Balm, when you are in labour.
Some women notice that lips are more chapped and crack, when pregnant. Using a natural lip balm is a “must have” for your hand bag or delivery bag.
6) How to apply Lip balm to your lips
Apply 3 to 4 times per day. Make sure you include the corners of your mouth.
These products help trap moisture, thus relieving dryness, so if needed, apply right after bathing, Always apply the product every time you go outside, especially during the dry winter months.
If the air in your house is dry, use a humidifier in your bedroom when you sleep. This will add moisture to the air and prevent the mucous membranes in your mouth and nose from drying out.
If you are breathing through your mouth due to congested nasal passages, you are more likely to suffer cracked, chapped lips.
Treating the stuffiness with a saline nasal spray, may allow you to breathe through your nose again.
7) Tips to Treat or Prevent chapped lips (3)
Most people get chapped lips from time to time. There’s much you can do to treat — and prevent — chapped lips.
- Your lips need protection. Before going out in cold, dry weather, apply a natural lip balm and then cover your lips with a mask or scarf.
- Try not licking your lips. Saliva leaves lips drier.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids. Moisten the air in your home with a humidifier.
- Avoid Mineral based . Avoid Petroleum or Paraffin based oils Non natural ingredients in fragrances or dyes, in cosmetics or skin care products.
- Avoid – Parabens, EDTA, Mineral oil, Silicones, Phthalates, Synthetic fragrances and colours
- Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth can cause your lips to dry out.
IMPORTANT If cracked lips is severe and doesn’t respond to treatment at home, consult your doctor. Very rarely, persistent chapped lips may indicate an underlying problem.
1) We got lip Balm. Myonlinefair. Moriah DeLoach
2) International Journal of Research in Cosmetic Science Universal Research Publications. All rights reser on Natural Lip Balm 2014
Mayuri Kadu1, Dr Suruchi Vishwasrao1,*, and Dr Sonia Singh1
3) Chapped Lips: What’s the best remedy?
I seem to have chapped lips all winter. Is there anything I can do to prevent or treat chapped lips?
Answer From Lawrence E. Gibson, M.D.
4) The Study on the Development and Processing Transfer of Lip Balm Products from Virgin Coconut Oil: A Case Study
Suwimon Kwunsiriwong, Rajabhat Rajanagarindra University, Thailand
The Asian Conference on Sustainability, Energy & the Environment 2016 Official Conference Proceedings